Recorded between 2003 and 2007, United We Swing—the latest album from Blue Engine Records—finds an unparalleled array of music talent that collectively boasts 94 Grammy Awards joining Jazz at Lincoln Center Managing and Artistic Director Wynton Marsalis (a nine-time Grammy Award winner himself) and some of the world’s top jazz musicians to perform blues-inflected versions of iconic American repertoire.
Pre-order the album: jazz.org/united
Those one-night-only, live performances have never been released before. They include Lenny Kravitz performing Marsalis’s hypnotizing, New Orleans-inflected arrangement of Kravitz’s own song, “Are You Gonna Go My Way”; Susan Tedeschi and Derek Trucks uniting for a stirring, infectious take on Civil Rights anthem “I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel to Be Free”; Bob Dylan adding harmonica licks to a deeply felt, in-the-pocket rendition of “It Takes a Lot to Laugh, It Takes a Train to Cry”; and Ray Charles taking the stage for one of his final performances to play “I’m Gonna Move to the Outskirts of Town.”
Together these artists raise their voices to highlight jazz’s importance to America’s cultural heritage and to remind us that, even in divided times, music can unite us all. All proceeds from the album will go toward Jazz at Lincoln Center’s education programs, which introduce thousands of children to jazz each year.
1. The Last Time feat. Blind Boys of Alabama
2. It Takes a Lot to Laugh, It Takes a Train to Cry feat. Bob Dylan
3. I’m Gonna Move to the Outskirts of Town feat. Ray Charles
4. I’m Not Rough feat. Eric Clapton
5. Creole Love Call feat. Audra McDonald
6. Milk Cow Blues feat. Willie Nelson
7. I’m Gonna Find Another You feat. John Mayer
8. My Baby Don’t Tolerate feat. Lyle Lovett
9. The Worst Thing feat. Natalie Merchant
10. Please Baby Don’t feat. John Legend
11. Mean Old Man feat. James Taylor
12. Are You Gonna Go My Way feat. Lenny Kravitz
13. Fool’s Paradise feat. Jimmy Buffett
14. Empty Bed Blues feat. Carrie Smith
15. I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel To Be Free feat. Susan Tedeschi and Derek Trucks
16. What Have You Done?
Subscribe to our channel: youtube.com/channel/UCP108sGgYT_TlG2YRColGcg?sub_confirmation=1
To learn more about Jazz at Lincoln Center, visit us at jazz.org